Alexa ranking is a tool to measure the popularity of different websites in the online community. Alexa claims of using a number of factors while deciding this ranking but the whole system in reality depends upon the data provided by Alexa tool bar which is installed on the systems of internet users.
The most popular websites having the topmost rankings are given the smallest number. As per the Alexa rankings, the most popular websites on the internet are Google, Yahoo, Facebook and Youtube. These rankings can be checked by installing the Alexa toolbar in your system or by visiting its website.
Since its inception, there has been no organized system for deciding internet website rankings as per their popularity. There has been efforts made by some to provide these rankings but almost all of them failed in this endeavor. Although the system for deciding Alexa rankings is not full-proof and leaves many questions unanswered, still it is a significant improvement other similar systems. The data for deciding these rankings is provided by Alexa toolbar which is installed on the systems of internet users. For people who don’t use this toolbar, there is no way to collect data from them. The rankings are not based on just one day data but are decided after taking into account data spanning over three months to get a clear picture. One visit per user per day to one website is counted once to decide the rankings.
Companies who want to attain higher rank in Alexa rankings encourage all the people who use and visit their websites to install Alexa toolbar on their systems. This makes them do better in future Alexa rankings. Different companies now know that these rankings are calculated by taking into account the number of unique visits made by a user to a particular website in a single day. Hence, it is quite easy to improve the Alexa ranking of a website by just taking a few simple steps:
- Encourage all your visitors and people who frequently use your website such as your employees and business associates, to install Alexa toolbar in their systems
- Encourage even those persons who occasionally visit your website such as your friends and relatives to install Alexa toolbar on their systems
- Post articles about Alexa rankings and its merits. It will attract webmasters to your post who generally have Alexa toolbar installed on their internet browsers
- Participate actively in different webmaster forums and have your blog URL in your signature. This will get many people having toolbar to visit your site
- After installing the toolbar, reload the webpages and try different searches to increase the number of pages visited
These are some ways through which you can boost your Alexa rankings temporarily. But to do it on permanent basis, you need to have good quality content and useful products to keep the visitors interested.